An update on how things are coming together for my unit of work on Narrative, which combined more mainstream print and visual texts with ‘new technology’ texts.
The texts I have selected to study are:
- The Raven – Edgar Allen Poe (poem)
- And antoher thing – Anthony Dennis (Sunday Life opinion article)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon (novel)
- Fairytale and fable selection, possibly using a webquest
- Fox – Margaret Wild (picture book)
- Inanimate Alice (multimedia)
- and, if time permits, The Castle – Working Dog / Sitch (film)
After/while studying these texts, students will be creating their own narrative compostions:
- An individual digital story on the theme ‘Dreams and Nightmares’ (term 2)
- A group drama enacting a fairytale of students own choosing (term 2)
- A short story using hypertext to link to flashbacks in the story (term 3 – using new laptops)
I’m loving teaching this unit – so far we’ve looked at the poem and the magazine article, and are now reading Curious Incident…if we finish looking at the book by the end of week 5, that will leave plenty of time to look at the other texts (not a ‘close study’ – just exploring select aspects of narrative) and do some work on the assessment projects.
More updates to come!